Built as one of the early homes on Gibson Island by prominent Marylander Robert Garrett in 1929, this waterfront exquisite Mediterranean villa overlooks the Magothy River, an estuary of the Chesapeake Bay. The villa was extensively renovated from 2006-2009 to make it consistent with current functional and life-style perspectives, while maintaining the soul and organization of the original house. No detail was overlooked. Located on more than three acres of beautifully landscaped land, the villa commands a high promontory as would a villa in the Mediterranean yet is safely ensconced within unique and private Gibson Island. Precious natural travertines and marbles, sustainable woods, salvaged terracotta, and vintage chandeliers, as well as exquisite Venetian plastering complement the rooms for comfortable day to day living, entertaining large groups, as well as resort-like family gatherings. Gracing the main house are five bedrooms, all en suite, a total of six full bathrooms, three powder-rooms, a glassed conservatory, a magnificent great room with enormous fireplace, stunning wet bar, and multiple French doors that open onto a large porticoed terrace overlooking the water, a serene library with fireplace, relaxing family room with fireplace, gourmet kitchen, breakfast room, sauna, wine cellar, and elevator. Most of these rooms offer stunning water views. The pool and hot tub are enhanced by two pergolas and an outdoor kitchen, all overlooking the gorgeous gardens with splendid water views. The entrancing old-world Coach House features a movie theater with plentiful seating on the main level, a studio apartment on the second level with full kitchen, and one and a half baths (in addition to the number of bathrooms and bedrooms in the main house). Landscaping of this magnificent estate includes a vineyard and berry rows, native plants with over 150 trees, including date and apple trees, 350 shrubs, and 25,000 perennial flowers. Sculptures and private gardens are integral to this very special private estate. Please make sure to see the videos. Information on Gibson Island: Gibson Island is a private island within one hour of Washington, D.C. and Baltimore offering an absolutely extraordinary setting. The Island comprises 1000 acres with seven miles of shoreline. Two thirds of the Island is undeveloped and is owned by the Gibson Island Corporation, the homeowners' association. The remaining third is residential home sites. Gibson Island is located on the western shore of Maryland, so there is no need to cross the Bay Bridge. On the Island is a 43-acre spring fed freshwater lake in which one may enjoy non-motorized watercraft activities such as paddleboarding, canoeing, kayaking, fishing and swimming. The Island offers enormous privacy and security--there is an entry gatehouse staffed 24+Hours and the Island is patrolled by the Gibson Island Police Force (GIPD). The Gibson Island Corporation Service Department offers yard maintenance and landscaping and other services for homeowners. There is a full-service yacht yard. From the Island, it is just a 20-minute drive to BWI Airport and the neighboring Amtrak train station. The Island houses a private country club (membership by invitation) offering yachting, fine dining year-round, tennis, an award-winning Charles Blair Macdonald designed 9-hole golf course, swimming, croquet, skeet shooting, and more. Private tours will be provided by appointment by the listing agent. Please contact her to make an appointment. (C) Gibson Island Corporation, all rights reserved.
Single Family, Single Family-Detached, Villa, 2 Story
6 Full/3 Half
Hot Water Heater, Tankless Water Heater, Electric
Stucco, Brick, Concrete, Stone, Mason
14,747 sq. ft
Yes - 2 spaces
Other, Electric service available, Cable TV, Telephone
Anne Arundel County Public Schools
Detailed Room Information
- Family Room, Kitchen, Laundry Room, Sitting Room, Foyer, Office, Library, Utility Room, Breakfast Room, Attic
- Dining Area
- Butler Pantry, Gourmet Kitchen, Island, Eat-In Kitchen, 2nd Kitchen
- Bath Description
- Stall Shower, Whirlpool Bath
- Cook Top Range, Dishwasher, Disposal, Dryer, Energy Star Appliance(S), Exhaust Fan/Hood, Ice Maker, Indoor Grill, Double Oven, Range Hood, Refrigerator, Washer, Microwave, Self-Cleaning Oven, Wall Oven, Intercom System, Instant Hot Water, Appliance Center, Water Dispenser, De-Humidifier, Energy Star, Humidifier, Water Treatment System, Carbon Monoxide Detector
- Hardwood, Tile, Marble, Ceramic Tile, Concrete, Other, Carpet, Stone
- Central Air, Electric, Heat Pump, A/C - Zone, A/C - Other, Geo-Thermal
- Electric Heating. Radiant, Heat Pump, Geothermal, Forced Air, Zone, Central.
- Stained Glass, Casement, Screened, Skylights, Double Pane, Insulated, Low-Emittance , Palladian Windows, Wood Frame
- 4. Gas Burning, Wood-burning, Fireplace Screen, Mantle, Stone, Brick.
- Elevator, 32 Inch Or More Wide Doors, 36 Inch Or More Wide Halls, Grab Bars, Low Bathroom Mirrors, Low Pile Carpeting, Entry Level Bedroom, Other.
- Security Gate, Security System, Alarm, Monitor System, Alarm -Smoke/Fire, TV Entry System, 24 Hour Security
- Additional Interior Features
- Fireplace Equipment, Bar, Breakfast Area, Attic Storage, Built-Ins, Cedar Closet, Combination Living/dining Room, Crown Molding, Curved Stair, Elevator, Recessed Lights, Sauna, Skylight, Walk-in Closets, Window Treatment, wine storage, Wood Floors, Laundry Chute, Open Floor Plan, Sprinkler System, Fire Alarm System, Fire Sprinklers, Multiple Phone Lines, Tray, Vaulted, Cathedral/vaulted Ceiling, Beamed, 9Ft+ Ceilings
Exterior / Lot Features
- 2 Garage Spaces. Paved Driveway.
- Stucco, Brick, Stone, Concrete
- Undergound Lawn Sprinkler
- Pool Description
- Heated, In-ground, Filtered
- Private Spa, Heated Spa, Indoor
- Lot View
- Bay, Panoramic, River, Water
- Body of Water
- Magothy River, Chesapeake Bay
- Additional Exterior/Lot Features
- Water Front, Grill - Outdoors, Waterfall, Out Building, Hot Tub, Exterior Lighting, Flood Lights, Satellite Dish, Sidewalks, Fountain, Landscaped, Back Yard, Side Yard, Front Yard. Landscaping, Poolside, Premium, Private, Rear Yard, Sideyard(S), Vegetation Planting, Other, Bulkheaded, Partly Wooded, Front Yard, Sloping.
- Community Amenities
- Gated Community, Non-Lake Recreational Area, Recreational Center, Security, Water/Lake Privileges, Common Grounds, Lake
- Security Features
The scores below measure the walkability of the address, access to public transit of the area and the convenience of using a bike on a scale of 1-100
Active Market Trends
Median list price
Days On Market
Properties For Sale
Sold Market Trends
Median sold price
Median Sq. Ft. Price